Watch the RICS Video – ‘The importance of getting a home survey’

Getting a home survey, and not just a bank valuation, is essential when buying a property. RICS research shows that on average home buyers spend £5,750 on repair bills once they have moved into their new home.

There are 3 different RICS Surveys, find out more below…

We only carry out Residential Surveys & Valuations…

This means we are specialists in home surveys and you can rest assured we are experts in our field.

Call us now on:

01438 833122

Which Survey Do I Need?

Condition Survey

– Level 1

A basic visual inspection. This report gives a general opinion about the condition of a property and its contents. Recommended for new-builds and conventional properties.

HomeBuyers Survey

– Level 2

A must for anyone buying a new home. A survey which gives an overall opinion about the condition of a property and highlight defects. Available with or without a Valuation.

Building Survey – Level 3

Designed for older buildings or those which have been altered or are non-traditional, this report goes into further detail about the structure and structural integrity of the property. Available with or without a Valuation.

Our Survey Coverage area

Although we can travel further on request, below is our preferred coverage…

Frequently Asked Questions

We understand that getting a property surveyed can seem daunting, so here are the most common questions we face daily.

Why Choose Burton Residential Surveyors?2023-09-13T14:14:45+01:00

We are proud members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), which means you can trust our qualifications and adherence to industry standards. We provide Tailored Solutions, Exceptional Service and Expertise. Every property is unique, and so are your needs. We offer a range of surveying and valuation services that can be customized to suit your specific requirements. With years of experience, we have the knowledge and insights to provide accurate and reliable assessments.

Building Survey or Homebuyer Survey Report?2023-09-13T14:11:01+01:00

This depends on the property in question and your requirements. The main difference between a Homebuyer’s Report and a full Building Survey from Burton Residential Surveyors is the level of detail that they go into about the house you are looking to buy. A full Building Survey will cover things in much more detail with additional advice within the report. A Building Survey is best suited to older, unusual or larger buildings as well as those in need of renovation.

What is the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)?2023-09-13T14:08:45+01:00

RICS is the world’s leading professional body for promoting and enforcing the highest international standards in land, property, infrastructure and construction. It is the pre-eminent organisation for professionals working in the UK property surveying industry.

RICS qualification and membership ensures the highest quality reporting and level of professionalism. That means peace of mind for you knowing that someone with extensive professional knowledge is casting their expert eye over the building you are thinking of purchasing.

What does a Surveyor do?2023-09-13T14:06:59+01:00

Chartered Surveyors are RICS regulated professionals who provide expert advice on various aspects of real estate and property. They conduct property valuations, building surveys, and property inspections. Burton Residential Surveyors can also offer services related to property investment and specialist valuation such as for HelpToBuy and Shared Ownership.

How will I receive my report?2020-02-27T15:41:20+00:00

Once your report has been completed and reviewed, it will be sent to you via email as a PDF document.  Hard copies are available on request at an additional fee.

What is a reinstatement cost?2020-02-27T15:40:49+00:00

Simply put, it is the full cost of rebuilding the property from scratch and the repatriation of any grounds and/or outbuildings. The reinstatement cost is normally calculated for insurance purposes.

Are you fully insured?2020-02-27T15:40:07+00:00

Yes. We have fully RICS approved insurance for Public Indemnity and Public Liability.  Being RICS regulated means that we must follow strict rules of conduct and be fully insured to protect our clients’ interests. We also regularly update our professional skills and knowledge, meaning we are able to offer the highest quality service at all times.

How much notice do you need?2020-02-27T15:39:27+00:00

Most survey appointments can be arranged within a matter of days and we will work to provide survey reports as swiftly as possible following the inspection.  In circumstances where time is short or urgent reports are required, next day inspections can usually be arranged.

My bank is doing a Mortgage Valuation; do I still need a Survey?2020-03-06T07:26:19+00:00

If you are buying your property with a mortgage, the lender will usually require a Mortgage Valuation undertaken by one of their panel Valuers.
Although you may pay for this during your mortgage application process, you cannot rely upon this report to give you a record of the properties condition. This ‘Mortgage Valuation’ is for the lenders benefit and to ensure that their interest in the property is secure- that’s it. These reports are very brief in nature and often the panel valuer isn’t even required to look in the loft! For these reasons it is essential that you obtain reliable, independent advice in the form of a private survey.

My bank / mortgage lender has offered an “upgrade” on their survey. Do I have to use them?2020-02-27T15:02:11+00:00

Your mortgage lender or panel valuer may contact you to offer an “upgrade” to a HomeBuyers / Building Survey if you are purchasing a property.   The reality with such arrangements is that this surveyor is likely to be a direct or panel employee of the lender and is primarily concerned with their interests, not yours.  There is no requirement for you to accept your lenders surveyor other than for the valuation, so it’s up to you if you prefer to appoint an independent surveyor for a condition inspection.  With Burton Residential Surveyors you’ll have direct local contact with the surveyor and the choice of the service that suits you and the property best. 

The house I am buying is new or only a couple of years old. Do I still need a survey?2020-02-27T15:37:41+00:00

Most new properties come with an NHBC or similar guarantee. However, this guarantee only covers certain parts of the building, such as the gas and electric’s for 2 or 3 years.  Although it will likely cover the main building for 10 years, making a claim can be an expensive and difficult process, and probably comes with an excess of £1,000. A thorough survey will almost certainly cost less than this and will give you peace of mind to know that the home you’re buying is free from major defects and worries.

How much does a survey cost?2023-09-13T14:03:59+01:00

All of our survey work is tailored to the needs of the client and property in question, we do not work to a ‘pricing scale’.  For a free no obligation quotation and friendly advice about the next steps please contact Burton Residential Surveyors on 01438833122

Go to Top